Career changes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career changes...

Haven't posted in awhile, this forum is fantastic. If you're new, keep reading. Life gets better!

Curious: my CH7 is behind me. I have a steady government job, but I'm looking at going back to school to get my law degree or possibly accounting. My BK was essentially tied into a horrible divorce/custody battle and out of my control. I've gotten mixed information about how this effects future employement.

Anyone know? Any CPAs or attorneys out there that have personal BK experience?

If it matters, by the time my career change happens my BK will be ancient history (over 10 years at least).
    Filed Chapter 7 08/06/09, unsecured debt of $109,000
    341 Meeting 09/09/09
    Discharged 11/12/09
    Closed 12/14/09

Hi Kill -

I'm new to this site and just saw your post. Would love to know if you found anything out in this regard. I'm in commercial banking w/ a Fortune 500 financial services company, and will soon be filing CH 7. I'm somewhat concerned about losing my current job if they find out, and am more concerned about getting hired on somewhere else if I am either fired and/or decide to try and get in with another firm...

Comment

The horror stories seem to be few and far between so far. I have heard nothing first-hand yet about someone being let go or being flat out denied employment due to their BK. A lawyer told me that he does recruiting for a big firm and they don't do credit checks. They just google people to see if anything embarassing pops up. Ha!

I'll post if anything else comes up, but nothing terrible so far. As you can see, not a lot of responses to my post though.
      341 Meeting 09/09/09
      Discharged 11/12/09
      Closed 12/14/09

Comment

I've done many postings on this subject....do a search in this forum on employment and filing BK. It all depends on one's particular situation and the job applied for but yes, a BK on one's credit report can keep one from getting a job. I would respond mpre but I have typed the same thing over and over and over again numerous times in reponse to postings such as this but a forum search will reveal quite a bit.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Thanks Flamingo. Will do!
          341 Meeting 09/09/09
          Discharged 11/12/09
          Closed 12/14/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X